Saturday, May 21, 2011

Oy!

This has been one heck of a week! But so much fun!! Friday was our first ship day. They said it was going to be really busy and I guess it was but once I get going I don’t tend to notice unless its so bad I want to cry. Friday that was not the case. Our call time was 8:30am, so we all piled into the cute little red Ford Tarus and trotted over to the yard. As I was pre-tripping my bus, I found out that it wouldn’t start. That kinda stinks considering I  need to DRIVE IT! But they switched buses and I was put into 118! I don’t like the 100 buses that much. They look older than the 200’s but I think they might be newer. Anyway, I got all ready just in time to wait. I didn’t have to be at the dock until 11:30am. So I watched Hitch. It was entertaining and as the drivers were clearing out I started to get anxious and nervous. I couldn’t believe it was time for me to actually pick up tourists. It kinda freaked me out a little. But I was so excited that all that went away when I got to the dock. I picked up my tour (which means I had them all day) and headed off to Allen Marine to drop them off for their whale watching. I told stories and information and they loved me! I dropped them off and went on my way to do the rest of my transfers. 

I had to take people to Temsco so that they could ride the helicopters to see the sled dogs and the glacier. Then I picked up a bunch of them. I kind of anticipated a lot of waiting but I don’t think it really sank in until I had to do all that waiting! After all my transfers I went back to pick up my group from whale watching and take them to the Glacier. I still feel dumb because I was having a hard time speaking – I couldn’t remember the name of the channel so I just said “This water empties into the wet stuff over there” and they laughed! They kept making fun of me and teasing me! Then I accidentally took the wrong turn and I over shot my turn anyway so I had to back up into traffic. It was humiliating. I felt so bad then we had to turn around in a neighborhood. They were all fine with it, but I felt and still feel STUPID! They made the joke that they got an extra tour for free! I just teased back that it was on me! We finally got to the glacier and even after all that we were on time and we even beat Chelsi who left before us! They got their hour in the Visitors Center and I got to use the bathroom and rest for a minute. Then it was time to pick them up from that! As I was loading them on the bus, one of my passengers pulled me aside and actually “lectured” me on how to drive a bus. I thanked him and felt even more like an idiot the rest of the time. It didn’t help that one of the ladies on the bus said to me “We still have one minute left!” Not realizing what she was saying, I thought she meant you are taking us away before our hour is up, I responded in a very pleasant tone mind you that we could stay for another minute. Her face turned into a very angered look and she said to me “Don’t get nasty” (she was british, so make sure you said that with a british accent!)  and that kind of pushed me over the top and my humiliation volcano erupted. I wanted to cry. But I kept my smile and I finished my tour and I was expecting to get punched in the face as I let them off the bus, but I ended up getting $34 in tips! They loved me. They all thought I was funny and entertaining and cute! It was a tender mercy that’s for sure! I am so grateful that they were so patient with me and do feel bad that that lady thought I was being rude. I finally figured out what she was saying and  praised everyone for being back on time! I think they softened her heart a little. I really didn’t realize she was implying they were early. I was on auto pilot trying to get everything ready to go. Oh well, right? Stuff happens as Haley would say! Good thing we all got Saturday off cuz I don’t think I could handle another day of that!

Saturday we all slept in and then Jenny and Becky had charters to do so me and Haley went into town to turn in our time cards. Then she broke off and went hiking with Ted, Andrew, Charles, Kyle, ect. (they ditched Chelsi, which caused a lot of drama but its all good now!) and after her charter I went with Jenny to the Maritime Festival that was happening at Marine Park! I went to lunch there earlier but we walked around there and then went to all the shops in downtown. It was a way fun day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment